Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Grey days

Well, my 'tightening up' of the way I eat seems to be paying off; today I clocked in at 149.8. Works for me. Had the late night munchies and devoured McD's at 2 am, so I'm surprised I lost. But I'll take it.


Spent a nice meal on Friday night with Jake, Heather, Ryan, Jen, and Aunt Kathie. Also got to talk with Murph for a while, which was nice since we don't get enough time to chat 1 to 1. The dryer delivery was a huge fiasco. First they guys didn't speak English too well, then I had to run over to Tom and Murph's to get Uncle Dave, who was working next door. He had the delivery men leave the washer/dryer in the kitchen so he and the plumber could install it themselves, since apparently the water line wasn't hooked up or something.


So Dave and the plumber come over and start moving the washer and dryer into the new laundry closet. They almost get the thing inside when they realize that there's no way for the plumber to get out, since the washer/dryer blocks the whole door and the closet isn't much wider than the door frame. Finally they had to get a 3 foot ladder, give it to the plumber after everything was hooked up, then the plumber (who is older and retired, mind you) had to climb up over the washer/dryer (since they're stackables) and down the tall ladder in the front of the washer/dryer. Then Dave went up the tall ladder, reached over the top of the washer/dryer, and snagged the 3 ft ladder, leaving nothing behind. I swear, my family does nothing easily.


I finally gave up with the whole 'patience is a virtue' thing and emailed Gallaudet to find out the status of my application for admission. The woman who wrote back was really nice, saying she hasn't heard anything yet, that it's customary to hear 3-4 weeks after the application was received, and gave me the email address of the liason for the Clinical Psychology department. Since 3-4 weeks have long since elapsed, I sent an email to the liason, asking when I should expect to hear the result of my application. I'm a little less nervous now, even though that makes no sense. I'm still really hoping I get accepted for an interview, since I think I present myself even better in person than I do in person. Let's continue to keep em crossed, folks!


Here's a recipe many people have asked me for . . .
Poppy Chicken
Ingredients
1 to 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into roughly 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup garlic powder
oil
1 bag of frozen broccoli spears
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp poppy seeds
roughly 3 to 4 cups of shredded cheese (I usually use a mix of sharp cheddar and Italian blend)

1. Preheat oven to 425. Toss the chicken in the Parmesan Cheese and garlic powder until evenly coated. Brown in batches in oiled pan over med hi heat.

2. While the chicken is browning, empty bag of broccoli into a microwave safe bowl and pop that bad boy in the micro for 7 to 8 mins, uncovered.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayo, cream, and seeds.

4. Spray a 9x13in baking pan with PAM (or generic equivalent), layer in the broccoli. Salt and pepper, and add a few pats of butter if you wish. Sprinkle with a light layer of Parmesan and garlic powder.

5. Distribute the chicken evenly over the broccoli, top with the mayo mixture (you probably won't have enough to cover the whole dish, but spread it as much as you can). Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until it reaches the level of doneness you like (Jake likes it browned and bubbly)



Here's some more Star Wars pix . . .




No comments: